(photo gallery below)
So how good was the Social Media Club Seattle kick-off event on Tue, 1.20.2009, that auspicious evening when America celebrated its first net-roots elected President?
It was very very good. We had a huge turn-out and lots of peeps meeting each other f2f for the first time, after tweeting and emailing and FBing and stuff. Great intros by Kevin Urie, and Blake Cahill of Visible Technologies. Prizes awarded by the divine Gina Spadoni, and all around organizational know-how by the SMCSeattle organizers (Rachel, Barb, Lyndee and the rest!).
Sponsored by Visible Technologies and Spring Creek Group, we had a huge turn-out of people interested in learning about Social Media, meeting others who are interested in or even experts on social media and marketing/brand experience/support/knowledge-sharing, etc.
Some questions I heard more than once:
- “What does Social Media Club do?”
- Simple really: it’s not so different from a meetup. We’re here to learn from each other about the ever-expanding universe of social media applications, how people and companies are using them, who’s using them and how, what’s working/what’s not, what’s new and best practices. Starting at our next meeting 2.24.2009 (location still being figured out), we’ll have guest speakers, such as Chris Heuer and others.
- “I’m such a newbie, I barely even twitter. Should I even be here?”
- Yes, I heard that from a couple of people. Simple answer: YES! We’re all newbies in one way or another. Social media is evolving so fast that we’ll most definitely need to be helping each other figure out how to use it for our specific needs. I heard a lot of people grappling with old questions and new solutions, for example (How many times did you hear ROI last night, hmmm?)
- Are there regular meetings?
- Yep, we’re still figuring things out (like sponsors and locations–got any suggestions? How about your company, for example ;-) )but count on third Tuesdays of every month. Next SMCSeattle is 2.24.09 (have I mentioned that yet?)
So here are some snaps of the party last night–thanks everyone for participating, we couldn’t have done it without you and thanks to the lovely Tamara Weikel (@lifeasart) for the excellent photos. (and for lots more, visit Tamara’s SMC tagged photos)